Friday’s Leaderly Quotation: Greenleaf on Servant Leadership
For today’s leaderly quotation I’d like to share with you 10 Critical Characteristics of the Servant Leader, based on the work of Robert K. Greenleaf. Take some time to reflect on them and how they align with your own leadership philosophy and daily practice.
Where do you see yourself as being effective?
Where do you see yourself as being weaker?
1. Listening to what is said (and not being said).
2. Empathy towards others and assuming their good intentions.
3. Healing oneself and others.
4. Awareness of self and seeing issues from a systems perspective.
5. Persuading others, not coercing through compliance.
6. Conceptualizing and balancing this with operational issues.
7. Foresight to understand the past, the present, and the future.
8. Stewardship by holding in trust our institutions for society.
9. Developing People personally, professionally, & spiritually.
10. Building Community within institutions and among them.
Source: Larry Spears, Executive Director, The Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership
Be sure to check out my new Resources and e-Books pages.